Both commercial and trophy poaching are still exercised as there is a worldwide demand for the products. This demand is caused by lack of education among the masses.
Solutions to Poaching or anti-poaching measures
Reduce the demand for poached products.
Reduce poaching activity by:
- Alleviating poverty and generation of alternative employment.
- Monitoring and controlling of poachers, using anti-poaching units.
- Regional/Sub-regional co-operation to monitor, assess and manage wildlife resources.
- Stronger enforcement of anti-poaching laws and restrictions.
- Awarding severe penalties for poaching.
In Pakistan, poaching has been common. BRC 'Bear Census Project' helped us in estimating the number of bears being presently maintained in captivity, and in identifying the subsistent and commercial poachers of bears. Suitable projects can be developed whereby poaching could be stopped through involving the stakeholders.
For this purpose BRC's deigning a new project by the name of “Alternative Livelihood”, to provide these people an alternate source of earning their livelihood.